I graduated from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in May. It’s hard to measure the impact of an experience like seminary so soon, so I’m not going to attempt that here. I just want to list my favorite classes from my 3 years at Southern. For any current or prospective students, perhaps this will be of help.
- Greek Exegesis of Matthew – Dr. Pennington. I improved my Greek and learned a lot about the first Gospel, but I’m most grateful for walking away with a better grasp of how to read and appreciate the Gospels.
- Systematic Theology I – Dr. Ware. I left this class with a higher view of God and a deeper love for Him and His word. Dr. Ware’s passion is infectious; there were times when all I could do after this class was find a place to pray and worship.
- New Testament II (Acts-Revelation) – Dr. Schreiner. I know few people (any?) who know the Bible like Dr. Schreiner and who possess a unique ability to teach it with clarity. I also know few people who are as humble, approachable, and seemingly unaware of their own gifting as Dr. Schreiner.
- Christian Ethics – Dr. Moore. This class helped me think about ethical issues more clearly. Dr. Moore is a sharp guy (check out his website), and watching him work through the important issues was impressive.
- Hebrew Composition – Dr. Fuller. This class was a ton of work and really helped my Hebrew. Even though it demanded a lot of time, it was actually enjoyable and rewarding.
- Advanced Greek Grammar – Dr. Gentry. I’m not sure if I’m including this because I really enjoyed the class or am simply glad that I completed it without serious injury. Regardless, this was the most demanding class I took at Southern, and I learned a ton.
Other noteworthy classes:
–Biblical Hermeneutics – Dr. Hamilton. He knows his Bible and this was a chance to see him model biblical theology through the semester. My lasting impression: I need to know the Bible better.
–Greek Exegesis of Romans – Dr. Schreiner. Romans is an important letter, and there is nobody from whom I’d rather learn it than Dr. Schreiner. He’s got a great commentary on it.
–Old Testament I (Genesis-2 Chronicles) – Dr. Gentry. These are the lectures that gave birth to this important book.